For the dough…
200g spelt grain
350g lukewarm water
2 tsp yeast
460g unbleached white spelt flour
30g macadamia oil, or other oil of your choice (nut free if required)
40g apple cider vinegar
30g chia seeds
2 tsp salt
home made barbecue sauce, ham and cheese, or
home made tomato sauce, pineapple, ham and cheese, or
pesto and cheese, or
mushroom, spinach, spring onion and cheese, or
sweet chilli sauce and cheese, or
apple and cinnamon, or
lemon curd and blueberries
1. Place spelt grain in mixer bowl. Mill for 1.5 minutes/speed 9/MC on. Remove from bowl, set aside.
2. Into mixer bowl, place (in this order) water, yeast, white flour, milled grains, oil, apple cider vinegar, chia and salt. Set to closed lid position and knead/4 minutes/MC on.
3. Remove dough from bowl and either wrap in a silicon mat or place in an oiled bowl and cover. Leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
4. When dough has doubled in size, unwrap then punch and hand knead all the air out of it, using silicon mat as your work surface, or a lightly floured clean, dry kitchen bench.
5. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle and spread with fillings of your choice.
6. Cut the dough into strips and roll each scroll individually, placing each one onto a lined tray as you go – after making many batches of scrolls, I have found this to be the best way to get uniform neat and great looking scrolls.
7. Leave scrolls to double in size, then place into a cold oven. Set the oven to 200°C and bake for 25 minutes, or until all nicely golden in colour.